Postdoctoral fellow in Computer Science
What are we searching for?
A Postdoctoral researcher in Computer Science
What would you do?
P2P Models is a research project to build decentralized, democratic & sustainable Collaborative Economy organizations. We aim to maximize our social impact through our socio-technical research and building free/open source software codesigned with communities. We are looking for a postdoc researcher to lead the development and technical research of a blockchain-based framework to build collaborative Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAOs). We hold a critical stance towards blockchain while exploring its potential for commons-oriented communities. This is an interdisciplinary research project integrated by computer scientists, sociologists, digital design and communication specialists. The project is 5-year long (2018-2023), EU-funded (1.5M€), based at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain), with Principal Investigator and advisors from the Berkman Klein Center at Harvard University. You can see more info on the project approach in this tweet thread, and more on our research questions in this other tweet thread.
As a postdoc researcher you will be responsible for carrying out research related to:
- Research and day-to-day software development responsibilities in an agile and free/open source team. Establish the architectural foundations and develop a software framework to build modular components of DAOs, with a focus on supporting collaboration and communities. Encode governance/economic models into smart contracts.
- Software project coordination, supporting other developers. Work within a free/open source culture, working in the open. Keep current with the free/open source tools and technologies in the blockchain ecosystem, participating in related conferences while representing the project. Maintain fluent communication with other blockchain projects and the developer community to facilitate interoperability, reuse, and adoption. Coordinate with other non-technical team members to maximize the project social impact.
What we offer
- Flexible working-hours:
- You can choose to work remotely, although we enjoy regular face-to-face meetings in Madrid (trip expenses are covered by the project).
- We believe in a family life & work balance, placing life in the center.
- We work with a goal oriented approach.
- Opportunities to publish the results of our research in high impact journals (JCR-indexed, Q1 & Q2), with a preference for Open Access.
- Opportunities to teach at the Faculty of Computer Science in the Universidad Complutense, if interested.
- We aim to be a flat and feminist team, who values diversity and nice interpersonal relationships.
- A wide diversity of benefits and expenses covered, including equipment, conference trips, trainings, or visiting fellowships with our international partners.
- Check more of our culture, conditions and perks.
- PhD (completed or planning to be submitted in less than a year) in Computer Science, Telecommunications, Information Technology, Industrial Engineering and/or a related field.
- Strong interest in at least one of these areas: software architecture, decentralised and distributed technologies, P2P systems, Free/Libre Open Source Software, Commons-Based Peer Production, online communities, algorithmic governance, science and technology studies and/or Internet and politics.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams, autonomy and critical thinking.
Good to have requirements
(These are some of the things we value, although they are not required to apply)
- Experience with Blockchain/P2P/distributed architectures, such as Ethereum, Aragon, IPFS, and/or similar environments.
- Ability to ship high quality, well crafted code.
- Passion for tinkering/solving a range of dynamic technology problems.
- Teamwork and interpersonal skills, including collaboration, empathy and adaptation.
- Some knowledge of Spanish.
- Experience in complex software projects, research projects, and/or in multidisciplinary teams.
- Interest/experience in social movements, activism, commons-oriented initiatives, co-ops, and/or open collaborative communities.
- Underrepresented demographics in the tech field to increase the team diversity.
35.000 € (gross salary / year)
Application are to be submitted by the 31st October 2019. We advise to submit asap, since interviews will be performed in a rolling basis until the position is filled. The position is renewable yearly for up to 3 years. Interested candidates should submit (1) a CV, and (2) a brief cover letter explaining their research experience, how their interests would fit the goals of the project, career plans, and available start date to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to write any question/doubt to email@example.com including in the subject “Open position: Postdoc”.
If you have not, please read more about our Culture and Work conditions, and commitment to Diversity.